Friday, June 13, 2008

My biggest fan

I think I have finally “made it.” I have my own blog groupies. The idea that someone is reading this blog on a regular basis thrills me, even though I know those groupies are my good friends.

Today, I was speaking with M. (M, now the next time we speak you can say “I read your blog and I saw the shout out to me…thanks for using an alias!”) M spouted back to me all the things she and our other friend, S, are reading about me in my blog. My struggles with Weight Watchers, my conflict over when to start trying for a second child, she knew it all. However, it got me to start wondering. If people are reading about my life, what do I have to say to them when we talk?

I am a born entertainer. I love to tell stories and to amuse people. At times, in my desire to disseminate these anecdotes to everyone, I mistakenly repeat them to the same person. If the story is good enough, they listen again, politely. However, with the more mundane ones they jump in and remind me that they have heard it already. Am I “shooting myself in the foot” with this blog? By sharing my anecdotes here, will people now jump in and say “Oh, I already read that in your blog,” when I try to relay a story?

The truth is, the groupies, are great but they can’t be the reason for my writing or not writing. Ultimately, whether anyone is listening or reading my stories, I need to do what I do because I enjoy it myself. Groupies are awesome, but the biggest fan of my stories lives in me. She never jumps in and says “I’ve heard it already.” She listens every time, and enjoys it as much as the first telling. However, I don’t always appreciate her as much as I do the groupies who read this blog. Unfortunately, while we can all be our own biggest fans we can also be our own worst enemies.

No comments: