Thursday, July 24, 2008

Help me!

Help me is the universal cry for assistance. Sometimes people don’t actually say the words but you pick up on a vibe that you are needed. However, when the words are actually spoken, especially if said in fear, people should be driven to take action.

Last night, after putting Josh down to bed, I looked forward to unwinding for a few minutes before my nightly chores needed to be done. It was then that I heard my super’s voice outside our apartment window saying “help me, help me” tinged with fear. After that, I heard an unfamiliar male’s voice saying “give me your money” to which the super replied “I have no money.” The stranger then said “Where do you live?”

Terror gripped me. Was this some sordid joke or was there a mugging going on right outside the window where my son was sleeping? I then did something, I have never done before, I called 911.

The 911 operator was wonderful. She tried to calm me down and told me that I was doing the right thing by calling. I told her that I was unsure if this was a real crime or if I was misunderstanding the exchange. The operator said that we were better off safe then sorry and that she was sending the police.

The police arrived and I heard the superintendent asking what was wrong. They said they got a call from my apartment at which point I opened the door – to find out that it was, indeed, a horrible joke. The super was kidding around with a friend. Funny, right? Wrong.

The police left as soon as they realized it was a false alarm and some neighbors and the super all remarked to me that it was nice to know there was someone “guarding” the building. I felt like a fool.

I am not someone who calls the police on a whim. I truly heard fear in the super’s voice and thought that someone was trying to hurt him and may have had a weapon. The fact that this was apparently taking place right outside my son’s window heightened my desire to take action. However, the phrase “once bitten, twice shy” comes to mind now. Will I actually be available to help the next time someone really needs it? I am not so sure. Will I assume that the next call for help is a joke and disregard it?

I’m angry for being made to feel like an idiot. I am also upset at the super for causing me to be emotionally wrought unnecessarily. I am just hoping that I never am in the situation to hear the frightened cry of “help me” again, especially anytime soon. I am so doubtful now, that the next time, I just may decide that I don’t want to be made a fool of twice. The next time, a real victim may be ignored because of this time’s cry of “wolf”. If anyone can help me to get over these negative feelings, please do so. Oh, and I mean it when I cry out for help with this problem – no joke.

2 comments:

Margy said...

That's a pretty rotten joke, if you ask me. What did the super say he was doing?? What kind of joke could it have possibly been? Sounds a little fishy to me.

Honestly, I think the 911 dispatcher was correct - better safe than sorry. Next time you hear someone crying for help I think you should do the exact same thing. Yes, it could be a false alarm again, but on the other hand, you could end up saving someone's life, right?

Cookie Momster said...

Thanks. My super said he was kidding around with a friend, and that's what I overheard, but I am still peeved at him.

To everyone who contacted me offline, I was very angry when I wrote this. Being of sound mind again, I know if I thought someone was in trouble I would do the same thing in the future.

However, at the risk of sounding preachy, I hope no one ever plays around like this in public again. Some jokes are just never funny.