Monday, July 7, 2008

Mommy-Brain? Mamma Mia!

I loved the play Mamma Mia! I saw it years ago and I was singing and dancing in the aisles with my good friend. I loved the music so much, I bought the soundtrack. I could sing you any line and quote the dialogue included on the album, all with out breaking a sweat.

Mamma Mia is now coming to theatres and I am dying to go. I looked for my CD of the play, to sing along and get back in the mood, but I couldn’t find it anywhere. No problem, right? After all, I know every word by heart. Correction, I knew every word by heart. Now, when I start to sing some of the songs, even my favorites, I draw a blank. I remember a chorus here and there but I couldn’t sing the complete song without help even if you paid me. It’s scary because my ability to remember song lyrics and inane pop culture is something I never questioned. However, these days there are numerous times where lyrics, actors names, titles of movies all escape me.

I have been told that this is the “infamous” Mommy-brain. Apparently, the act of being pregnant and having a child makes you lose memory cells. I am not sure if this is scientifically proven, but it is everyone’s reason for my memory lapses. I start a sentence only to forget what I was planning to say – Mommy brain. I look at a picture of my sister-in-law and her son and completely blank on their first names – Mommy brain. I put up a pot of eggs to boil and don’t remember until I smell something burning -Mommy brain.

Mamma Mia! Is there a cure for this mommy brain or is it a terminal disease? I am a Super Trouper, and I Have a Dream. I’m sending out and S.O.S., my Chiquitita. I am hopeful that someone out there can Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! a cure for my Mommy Brain. Then when someone asks Josh, Does Your Mother Know, I can proudly scream I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do! Let’s just hope the cure doesn’t cost too much Money, Money, Money.

No comments: