Friday, August 22, 2008

WBWIHTT

When did people get too lazy to speak and write complete words? I think it has a lot to do with instant messaging, but abbreviations have become the norm in almost everything I see and do these days.

At work, my colleagues don't write thank you in their emails any more, they write "TY! :)" A friend was telling me a story and she remarked "He was soooooo funny I was totally LOLing at everything he said." Does it require so much more effort to actually say she was laughing out loud then saying LOL? Has our short attention span and desire to rush everything we do now affected our conversations too?

Then, there is the problem of figuring out what the heck someone means when they abbreviate something you haven't seen before. The first time I saw "TTYL!" it took me 5 minutes to figure out they meant "Talk to you later."

If I were to write I "ASTOTT" - Am So Tired Of This Trend, how long would it take you to figure out what I mean? When does an abbreviation become normally understood for public usage vs just plain annoying?

Well, I'm bored with this post and I'm in a rush to get back to work since my lunch break is about over, so -- TTYL!

(In case you were wondering about the funny title of this post...Try and guess what the letters are an abbreviation for and send me your guesses through the comment function. I'll post the guesses and answer the next time I post.)

No comments: