Monday, May 12, 2008

Leaving the house with pee-pee on my skirt

Yesterday, was mother’s day, my first, and it was jam packed with family, food and frustration. I awoke to cards from the husband and my boy. Josh has also apparently mastered his online shopping skills because he bought me a lovely locket from an online merchant. I knew that boy was gifted! (No pun intended.)

A good friend called me in the morning to wish me happy mother’s day and she ordered my husband to treat me like royalty. My husband said “Snow White was royalty and she still had to work for seven dwarves.” If I am Snow white in this analogy is my husband a dwarf? Funny that he’d do a short joke about himself.

Another friend warned me that mother’s day wasn’t REALLY about me, that it was about the grandmothers and when I became a grandmother myself, that’s when I’d enjoy the “holiday”. Well, after running from one end of the state of NY to the other to see both sides of the family AND grocery shopping plus shopping for the baby in between, I have to say, I agree.

At some point during the day somebody asked me if, now that I celebrated my first mothers day, I felt like it was “official” that I was a mom now. I didn’t even hesitate when I said no. See, I felt like an “official” mom months ago. I remember the moment very clearly when I knew I was a mom and everything really had changed.

It was a busy morning, Josh had been extremely fussy and wouldn’t let me put him down without wailing like a fire truck. My clothes were half on for most of the morning and I was starving. I finished getting dressed, packed Josh’s diaper bag, forgot about the idea that I MIGHT have a chance to finally blow dry my hair and then proceeded to dress Josh. As I was changing his diaper, the fountain went off and a stream of pee went all over my skirt. I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. I was already running late and really had no time to change. I waffled about what to do and I made my decision. I finished dressing Josh, put on my coat and left the house. I left the house with pee all over my skirt.

As I wheeled Josh’s carriage outside on a brisk winter day, thinking about the pee on my skirt, I couldn’t believe what I had done. If I noticed a stain on my skirt in the past, it was off with that skirt on with a new one. Since that “pee skirt” day, I’ve left the house with with pee, formula, mushed carrots and god knows what else on my clothes without a second thought. So, no, mother’s day didn’t make me feel like an official mom. A lot of pee-pee on a new skirt did the trick a long time ago. It’s OK, I didn’t like the skirt that much anyway.

Happy Mothers Day to all the moms out there!

No comments: